Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oklahoma Helps Haiti

Life in Oklahoma is really great, especially when you compare it to life in other countries. I usually post an upbeat blog on this site related to life in Oklahoma and the events and activities that I enjoy and can be experienced while living in this state.

The devastation of the 7.0 magnitude earthquake last week in Haiti got a lot of people's attention. This unfortunate act of Mother Nature, is not because the Haitians were attacking another country or trying to cause harm to anyone. As far as I know the country was not known for harboring Taliban, or any other terrorist groups. I don't know a lot about Haiti, but this blog is not about a foreign country, it's about the United States of America.

I felt compelled to write this because I know that a lot of us struggle when ever money is requested to help those less fortunate and victims of disasters.

The U.S. spends millions and trillions of dollars to send our soldiers to help and restrain other nations, but when it comes to helping those individuals not affected by war, it is often begins with our local community organizations such as our Churches.
Facebook requests for money concern me. Probably due to my paranoia because my doubts of the legitimacy of a company that offers it's services for free, offering to match and add to donations. Although many of these adds and groups may be legitimate, I suggest that if you feel compelled to help the needy, that your offerings go through a local church.
I know that the church that we attend has been sponsoring three different orphanages in Haiti. With the amount of orphans growing quickly due to the loss of life in Haiti, the demand for funds have increased. Also, by supporting your local Churches in Oklahoma, or any other state, your donations will be used in worthwhile ways for this and any forthcoming need, and not spent at will by companies or politicians.
Just consider this food for thought. No person or organization asked me to write this. I just felt compelled to make this statement. I have always wanted, and will continue to want, to help in time of need. But, I also feel like I should know something about the hand that takes the money that has been given to us. By supporting our local Churches, The Red Cross, The Salvation Army, and other organizations within our City, it will help our community as well.

I'm not putting Facebook down. This web site has quickly became a great way to communicate in the last few years. I have got in touch with a lot of my old classmates, family, coworkers, and others from the past. I have also made a lot of new friends, so don't misinterpret my intent. I'm sure there are many testimonials from others such as myself about the one of the hottest websites on the World Wide Web.


Written by: Rick Jackson
Dreams Do Come True

No comments: